Thursday 10 February 2011

Design totality

I cannot make up my mind whether I should be blogging weekly or more frequently. Often I’m exposed to things, my head starts swirling and then I’m not sure where I am.

Anyway… picking up from last week, reading Mr Bauman further, his chapter ‘individualism’ sets up a kind of dystopia; one that hadn’t been anticipated it seems, as we were more focused on the nightmare of not having choice, being controlled and directed by some omnipotent designer (Orwell’s big brother being a prime example). Bauman’s nightmare however leaves us (humanity) in a state of perpetual anxiety. Being in charge of ones destiny, is a heavy responsibility.

Last week I came across a blog entry by Kevin Buist, using examples from art and design to discuss the difference between the two. His first entry uses a piece (I’m vaguely familiar with) by Felix Gonzales Torres ‘perfect Lovers’ – it’s definitely worth a read… Buist is attempting to discuss the subject over several entries but his current conclusion poses the making of the problems and the solving of problems as the distinction - artists making rather than solving hmmm - design he reckons has utopian ambitions…

The observations by both of these writers ricocheted around my head for days. Heading back into the studio brought that longstanding dilemma of ‘usefulness’ back into my head - It’s been an unsettling week…


Dandelion t-shirt design 2006

I don’t know, I still think I have utopian ideals and struggle with the reality of others. I suppose I've been trying to escape from that by retreating back into the studio. What’s left though, in that space is a circle/sphere, not just the ones I’m currently making, but things I’ve made before. That sphere is a totality and I suppose I’ve been regarding ‘Black’ in the same manner…

No comments:

Post a Comment